Indecision and Cucumber Travels

Right now I should be estudiando for my Spanish exam, but I feel like it's time to write a post that's been sitting in my notes on my phone. A few weeks ago I was really feeling some strange homesickness, it comes in waves and sometimes doesn't last, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Y PS Gracias a Sonia por el titulo (Pepino de viaje)


I've never had a homesickness like this, and it's not even that I don't like where I am or that I'm unhappy. I believe it's just an effect of a circumstance, because it isn't constant. When I'm out with friends, meeting people, traveling, or experiencing something I enjoy it isn't there. It hits normally if I'm inside for too long, if it's rainy or if I get a fleeting moment of "FOMO" (fear of missing out), I think social media has a role to play in that one. I love seeing what my friends are up to back at home, but it can also impose a feeling of missing something important while you're across the world. Although, being out and exploring, what I'm doing is what I wanted, what I desire to do. In actuality, if I wanted to change paths, nothing is really stopping me. I could go home if I wanted to. I'm not finished with what I started, I want to explore Madrid (or Spain) in different ways. On the other hand, yes, if I go home a career path is a bit more simple (I speak the native language), but I'm not 100% committed to the idea of that yet. I'm not saying that me being here is evading having a "real job" or responsibilities, because I have those here too. Now is just the right time to do what I am doing, it feels proper. If I leave prematurely am I going to find the "dream job" ASAP (no), will I appreciate my city more (I want to), will I lose all the Spanish I learned? When I wrote these notes in my phone, I saw that I wrote a post similar (about me lacking direction) almost exactly a year ago. Funny how things pan out... A year later, a different country, and still not sure, but at least I'm making steps to change this. I'm still not convinced that we ever know what is next, all we can do is move in our desired direction in steps, and if that path changes we have to embrace it. It's strange to feel a bit homesick while concurrently feeling like you are where you should be.

It's true that no matter who you're surrounded with, people are always moving. It's also true that I am too, maybe it's just that when you're at a crossroads or standstill you can see it more that when you're in motion. So keep learning and keep moving, that's the moral I suppose.

May was a hectic but great month, I saw my friend Manny from home (she's now working in Dubai though), and we had 24 hours of fun in Madrid, and then my friend Mari from Italy came for a visit, we said goodbye to Luna, and then I went to Paris. In the rush of all of these things, the homesickness left almost as quick as it had started.





Actually, I was pretty impressed with my touring skills, I didn't realize I knew as much as I did about Madrid and how to get around. I'm not claiming to be an expert.. but hey, I'm allowed to give myself a pat on the back. 

The mission to get to Paris is quite exhausting... not typically, but by my own doing. I had a very early flight and from the suburb I live in there isn't exactly a good route at that hour. This is what happened: 1.30 bus to Madrid Centre, Taxi to Plaza de Ciebeles (because I couldn't find the bus), Bus from the plaza to the airport, and I got there around 3.30 more or less... then I waited in the airport until 5.30 when I could check in. I fell asleep in my chair waiting to board around 6 AM. And then as soon as I was napping, the boarding began. Needless to say I passed out on the airplane. I'm not even sure if they served anything because I was out cold.

Anyways, I got to see three more lovely people from our time in Denmark: Alain (who hosted us), Christian and Claire. It's always great to catch up and see what people are doing these days, and even better to explore somewhere with them.




Needless to say, Paris is beautiful. I think I need to go again. We had a lot of fun biking around the city and seeing some of the lesser seen areas. I also tried some different cuisines that I've never had the chance to. Some African, Moroccan and of course some French. I ate a crepe, I saw the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, I asked for tea in French (oof), and drank some wine in Alain's super Parisian flat. Excellent time.






Hasta luego chicos, Besosssss

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment